The Steps to Becoming a Contractor
Do you want to know the advantages and disadvantages on being self-employed? Then this article will outline all you need to know as you become a self-employed business or contractor in the working world today. There are many different ways to approach self-employment and being a contractor is one of the best ways to do this, therefore you will find quite the detailed explanations in this article.
A breakdown of self-employment and what you need!
Being self-employed is one thing but actually have the traits that you need to have to be successfully self-employed is another thing entirely. Usually when you go to a job interview, they judge you on certain traits that you possess and whether or not you would fit smoothly into the business. It’s kind of similar when you become self-employed as you need to have a number of positive traits to keep yourself on the ball all of the time so to speak. So, here are a few of them below:
- You need to be able to motivate yourself at every given opportunity, at the end of the day you are the only person working for you so who else is going to keep you motivated? Think about yourself above all things when it comes to self-employment.
- Flexibility is key when it comes to self-employment as you will be given random times in the day where you will need to work. This can be challenging to people working a job in the day and then going home to work; therefore, it is wise to give yourself a priority from yourself over to the work you might need completing.
- Planning ahead is the staple of a good mind and with self-employment it is even more relevant. Having yourself a flexible timetable is one of the smartest things you can think of doing as a contractor, therefore, take the time before you turn self-employed to make yourself one.
- Consistency is key when you are self-employed. Because the individual you are working for is paying you directly you won’t have a manager to fall back on or someone to blame. Keeping a constant and consistent work flow for your clients with good feedback from them is incredibly important.
- Opportunity is juts around the corner. As a contractor or owner of your own business you need to be aware of the general news and news that concerns your profession or business. With this comes an opportunity to make yourself some incredible amounts of money that can make you a very happy individual in what ever it is you are doing.
Here is a list of some of the best jobs you can get when it comes to being self-employed, they might not all be the same pay grade, but some can be self-rewarding in what they do.
- Buying and Selling items like silver or even mobile phones
- Language tutor
- Music tutor
- Private tutors
- Looking after the elderly
- Freelance writing
- Video production like YouTube etc
- Freelance web design and graphic design
These are just a few of the jobs that might peak the interest of someone who wishes to become a contractor in 2019. Of course, some of these don’t require contacting work but a lot of them can be considered contracting work, especially if you are good at it.
- Working 24/7 – You are more than likely going to start working all day every day, meaning no day offs for yourself. This is what the flexible part of this article we mentioned is about as you will have little time for yourself. It isn’t the worst thing if you are living by yourself but if you have a family then it can cause issues, this is why it is best to limit the number of clients that you have.
- Paid holidays are no longer an option – Unfortunately as expected you will no longer receive pay from any one but yourself when it comes to holidays. If you are fortunate enough to get a break from the tax man at the time of your holiday then that is the only way unfortunately. However, you should be earning quite a bit more now from your self-employment so, hopefully, this wouldn’t matter.
- Steady pay is not guaranteed – When you are working for yourself, you are working hard to get every penny as there might be some months with lots of paying work and other months with next to nothing. As you might be able to tell it is all on you to provide the money for yourself and to work as hard as possible.
- Answering to clients – This can be exceptionally tough if you have a client that your particularly don’t get a long with or don’t like too much. However, for the sake of your livelihood it is best to just get on with whatever it is.
- Multitasking has become your life – Switching between different projects is going to become the absolute normality for you. If you didn’t already have a job that entails you do this you definitely will now as working solo means that you have to do everything by yourself and for yourself.
Now some of the advantages of becoming self-employed
- You are your own boss – If this isn’t the major reason why you are self-employed then it should be. There are no limits to what you can do when you are self-employed or a contractor as you can take as many breaks as you want and work as much as you want. Think about it this way, no one gets to criticise your work because you are the one giving it your all!
- You don’t have to worry about sick leave – One of the many things that people worry about when they work a job is, will they get paid the full amount when they are off sick? Or is my job at risk? When you are self-employed you don’t have to worry about this as you will always have a stream of clients and for the most part you will still find the ability to do some work when you are sick.
- A drama free environment – When you work on your own there are no distractions from other people. Of course, you have to train yourself not to be distracted from the things that might distract you at home but at the end of the day, it is your choice to become self-employed.
- You schedule your life around your work – The beauty of self-employment is easily noticeable by the schedule you will keep. Rather than the time set by someone else you can work efficiently around your life in a way that benefits yourself and your family.
- If you need some new equipment for your job it’s your responsibility to get it – No longer will you have to wait around for the boss to fork out the money, you will get it yourself in your own time!
Here at Comparison Contractor we provide all the information you need for contractors and the best quotes for the self-employed out there in the United Kingdom. At the end of the day, it is up to you whether or not to decide what is best for you. However, if you would like someone to give you some more advice on a personal level then fill out our contact form on our website and one of our professional staff members will call you within just a few minutes. Get in touch today! And start your new life as a professional contractor!